If you’re interested in fashion and want to study it more in-depth, you’ll need to read up on the industry. To get you started, we’ve compiled a list of essential books to read for fashion students. From history books that trace the origins of clothing to design books that will teach you how to sketch and drape fabrics, these reads are essential for anyone wanting to pursue a career in fashion!
The fashion designer survival guide
There are a lot of books to read for fashion students, but which ones are essential reading for fashion students? We’ve put together a list of the best books for fashion students, covering everything from design and illustration to history and theory.
1. Fashion Design Essentials: All the Know-How You Need to Succeed in Fashion Design by Steven Farm
This book is a comprehensive guide to everything you need to know to be a successful fashion designer. It covers topics like fashion drawing, sketching, and illustration; patternmaking and garment construction; design principles; and much more. If you’re serious about pursuing a career in fashion design, this book is a must-read.
2. Fashion History: A Visual Timeline by Valerie Steele
Fashion history is an essential part of any fashion education, and there’s no better way to learn about it than with this visually stunning timeline from renowned scholar Valerie Steele. Organized chronologically, it covers over 500 years of fashion history in exquisite detail, with beautiful illustrations and photographs throughout.
Fashion Design Books
There are many books to read for fashion students learn more about the industry and develop their design skills. Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Fashion Design 101 by Patrick J. Frank – This book provides a great introduction to the world of fashion design, covering everything from history and theory to sketching and fabric selection.
2. The Fashion Designer Survival Guide by Mary Gehlhar – An essential read for anyone pursuing a career in fashion design, this book covers everything from finding a job to starting your label.
3. Dior by Christian Dior – A classic in the world of fashion literature, this book chronicles the life and work of one of the most influential designers of all time.
4. Fashion Design: Concepts and Methodology by Roberta Sineriz – This book is perfect for students who want to learn more about the design process, from initial inspiration to final execution.
5. Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong – A must-read for anyone interested in learning how to create their patterns, this book covers everything from basic dart manipulation to advanced garment construction techniques.
Fashion Business Books
As a fashion student, you will undoubtedly have to read a lot of different texts during your studies. However, there are a few key books that every fashion student should read to gain a better understanding of the fashion industry. Here are four essential reads for anyone studying fashion:
1. Fashion Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones – This book offers a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the fashion industry, from the perspective of those who work within it. It’s a must-read for anyone wanting to get an insight into the workings of the fashion world.
2. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger – Although it is technically a novel, this book provides a very accurate portrayal of what it is like to work in the fashion industry. If you’re looking for a realistic depiction of the highs and lows of a career in fashion, this is the book for you.
3. Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth Cline – This book is essential reading for anyone interested in a sustainable fashion. It explores the environmental and social impacts of fast fashion and makes a compelling case for why we should all be shopping more responsibly.
Fashion History Books
There are a few essential fashion history books that every fashion student should read. Here are our top picks:
1. Fashion History: “A Very Short Introduction” by Christopher Breward
This book offers a concise and accessible overview of the history of fashion, from ancient times to the present day. It covers a wide range of topics, including the development of different fashion styles, the role of clothing in society, and the relationship between fashion and politics.
2. Fashion: “A Very Short Introduction” by Joanne Entwistle
This book provides an excellent introduction to the study of fashion. It covers a wide range of topics, including the history of fashion, the sociology of dress, and the psychology of clothing. It is an essential read for anyone interested in understanding the complex role that fashion plays in our lives.
3. “The Fashion History Reader: Global Perspectives” edited by Valerie Steele and Helen Bradley Foster
This book is a collection of essays that explore the history of fashion from a global perspective. The essays cover a wide range of topics, including the history of specific garments, the impact of colonialism on the dress, and the role of clothing in identity formation. This book
There are many great books out there for fashion students to read. However, the ones listed above are some of the best. They will help you understand the industry, learn about different styles, and get inspired to create your looks. So, if you’re looking for something to read that will improve your fashion sense, be sure to check out these titles.